Handi GhoshtApril 23, 2012
PatisaApril 23, 2012
- 2 pie crusts – unbaked (Pillsbury ready to bake or homemade)
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced (1/4 inch thick)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground dried thyme
- 3 Tablespoons dry sherry
- 1/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 Tablespoons minced parsley (fresh)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F, place oven rack in middle position.
- Place chicken and broth in a stock pot over medium heat. Cover, bring to a simmer and simmer until the chicken is done (about 10 min.)
- Transfer the chicken to a large bowl; reserve the broth in a separate cup or small bowl.
- Place oil in the stock pot, turn heat to medium high.
- Add the carrots, onion and celery. Sauté until just tender (about 5 min.). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Shred the chicken meat into bit-sized pieces, then place the vegetables into the bowl with the chicken and set aside.
- Heat the butter in the now empty stock pot over medium heat. Once melted, add the flour and cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in the chicken broth, milk and thyme. Bring to a simmer, continuing to simmer until sauce thickens (about 1 min.). Season with salt and pepper, stir in the sherry.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken-vegetables mixture, stir well. Stir in the peas and parsley.
- Line a 9×13 inch pan with one of the pie crusts. If using ready to bake pie crusts, roll the dough to fit the pan.
- Pour the chicken mixture into the pan and top with second crust.
- Bake in preheated oven until pie crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly, about 30 minutes.