2 lb chicken pieces
2 tbsp peppercorns coarsely ground
3 large onions sliced long
4 green chillies slit(to taste)
1 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 cup tomato puree or sauce
a bunch of coriander leaves chopped
A sprig of curry leaves
juice of half lime
oil for cooking
salt to taste
1. Marinate the chicken pieces with salt , ground pepper , half of the ginger garlic paste and lime juice for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
2. Heat about 2 tbsp oil in a pan .Shallow fry the chicken pieces for about 7 minutes of till lightly browned.Drain to paper towel and keep them warm.
3. Add little bit more oil and add the curry leaves,green chillies and the rest of the ginger garlic paste.Saute for a while and then add the tomato sauce or puree. Bring it to a boil and add the chicken pieces.
4. Add the garam masala and coriander leaves.Stir well .Cover and cook till chicken is tender.Add hot water in between , if required.
5. Meanwhile in another pan , heat some more oil and saute the onions with little bit salt. Saute till the onions are well browned and carmalized.Drain to paper towels.
6. Shutdown the flame when the chicken is cooked and the curry becomes dry.Add the browned onions and stir well.Serve hot garnished with extra chopped coriander leaves .