Before you start exploring basic landscape photography, you’ll need to start with securing the right gear. While you can use virtually any camera to capture the wonders of nature, if you’re looking to produce high-quality images that will do justice to your favorite scenery, then you’ll need to invest in a standalone camera with higher grade optics.
Check out this list of popular camera models that are well-suited to landscape photography.
Best Cameras for Landscape Photography
Whatever your budget or preference, you’re sure to find a camera that will allow you to capture beautiful landscape photos.
1. Canon EOS 5DS R
The Canon EOS 5DS R may not necessarily be brand new, but it offers the biggest pixel amount currently available on DSLRs. It allows you to easily capture high-resolution 50-megapixel images, which is great for producing prints of all sizes. It also features improved sensor sensitivity to detail due to the absence of the low-pass filter effect (its only distinction from its twin, the 5DS). Its full-frame sensor offers a wider angle of view than APS-C cameras, which means you get to enjoy the actual focal lengths and perspectives offered by a good landscape photography lens.
As for its video recording capabilities, it only records up to full HD resolution at 30fps and has no HDMI output, so it’s just right for stills-only landscape photographers.
- 50.6MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
- Canceled Low-Pass Filter (LPF) Effect
- Dual DIGIC 6 Image Processing Engines
- 50MP Photos / Full HD Videos at 30fps
- ISO Sensitivity Range of 100 – 6400 (50 – 12800)
- 61-Point (41 Cross-Type) AF System
- Continuous Shooting Rate of up to 5fps
- 3.2″ 1.04m-dot Rear Screen LCD Monitor
- Weighs 845.1g (29.81 oz)
2. Sony a7R III
The Sony a7R III mirrorless camera is for landscape photographers who want a more compact, lightweight, and travel-friendly pro-level digital camera. Proving that it doesn’t compromise optical quality for size, it features a 42.4-megapixel full-frame sensor, which is higher in resolution than many premium DSLRs.
Paired with the BIONZ X image processor, it can produce 4K (3840×2160) videos at 30p and shoot up to 10 frames per second. You may not need to freeze any action, but a high frame rate can be useful for capturing more detailed time-lapse landscape photos.
The image sensor is also backlit and the camera body is weather-sealed, so shooting in low-light and under harsh weather conditions is no problem.
- 42.4MP Full-Frame Exmor R CMOS Sensor
- BIONZ X Image Processing Engine
- 42MP Photos / UHD 4K Videos at 30p
- ISO Sensitivity Range of 100 – 25600 (50 – 102400)
- 399-Point Fast Hybrid AF System
- Continuous Shooting Rate of up to 10fps
- 5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Stabilization
- 3.0″ 1.44m-dot Tilting Touchscreen LCD
- 3.69m-dot Tru-Finder OLED Electronic Viewfinder
- Weighs 582g (20.52 oz)
3. Nikon D5600
The Nikon D5600 is a popular option for those who are just starting out or are on a budget. It has an APS-C sensor so you get a cropped field of view, but this also means you won’t need a lens converter to achieve more zoomed in shots of faraway mountains.
Weighing in at under 500 grams, the camera is easier to handle and allows you to bring more lenses in your camera bag. Its max photo resolution may be lower than the first two cameras on our list but it’s enough for beginners who want to share their work or promote their business with prints or via social media.
The rear rotating touchscreen LCD monitor also makes ground-level shooting convenient for those who want more interesting perspectives.
- 24.2MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
- EXPEED 4 Image Processing Engine
- 24MP Photos / Full HD Videos at 60fps
- ISO Sensitivity Range of 100 – 25600
- Continuous Shooting Rate of up to 5fps
- 3.2″ 1.037m-dot Rear Vari-Angle Touchscreen LCD
- Weighs 415g (14.7 oz)
4. Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II
As one of the best mirrorless cameras for professionals, the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II is ideal for many different photography styles — one of them being landscape and travel photography. It weighs under 600g, but many of its capabilities exceed the expectations of both beginners and seasoned pros.
It has a pretty humble yet powerful Micro Four Thirds sensor and uses the brand’s TruePic™ VIII image processing engine to produce 20-megapixel photos and videos with a whopping resolution of up to 4096 x 2160 videos at 24p. It can even capture up to 15 frames per second and offers in-body image stabilization (5-axis) for those who wish to capture tack sharp time-lapse photos.
But most of all, it offers a very good dynamic range—a secret ingredient to capturing stunning landscape shots.
- 20.4MP Micro Four Thirds Live MOS Sensor
- TruePic™ VIII Image Processor
- 20MP Photos / DCI 4K Videos at 24p
- 5-Axis In-Body Image Stabilization
- 121-Point Dual Fast AF System
- ISO Sensitivity Range of 200 – 6400 (64 – 25600)
- Continuous Shooting Rate of up to 15fps
- 3.0″ 1.04m-dot Vari-Angle Touchscreen LCD
- 2.36m-dot Electronic Viewfinder LCD
- Weighs 574g (20.24 oz)
5. Panasonic LUMIX DMC-LX10
Creating spectacular landscape photos is not only for those who can afford DSLRs and mirrorless cameras. With a highly capable yet affordable compact digital camera like the Panasonic LUMIX DMC-LX10, you can take up to 20-megapixel photos and even UHD 4K videos at 30p.
This small but powerful point-and-shoot is great for those who don’t want to worry about buying a separate lens, as it already features a fast Leica DC Vario-Summilux lens with a 35mm focal equivalent of 26-78mm and a maximum aperture of f/1.4-f/2.8 for capturing breathtaking shots with smaller depth of fields.
It works great in low-light conditions, offers up to 6x Intelligent Zoom, and features a 3-inch TFT LCD monitor to provide more versatility when shooting outdoors.
- 20.1MP 1” High Sensitivity MOS Sensor
- Leica DC Vario-Summilux f/1.4 – f/2.8
- 5-Axis Optical Image Stabilization
- Up to 3x Optical, 4x Digital, and 6x Intelligent Zoom
- 20MP Photos / UHD 4K Videos at 30p
- Continuous Shooting Rate of up to 50fps (Super-High)
- ISO Sensitivity Range of 125 – 12800 (80 – 25600)
- 3.0″ 1.04m-dot TFT Screen LCD Monitor
- Weighs 280g (9.87 oz)